Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The way I see things





I was reading through some blogs this morning, as I am want to do. In one of them, the blogger wrote a pretty good article about a typical baseball issue. One of the commentators raised the issue that it was nice that the blogger actually wrote a complete piece, instead of just linking to someone else's article, as many of us do. It came across as a little rude and holier than thou, but don't we all at times.

I don't have any reason to think this particular comment was about me, or anyone else that I know who blogs. But many of us do that, and I will continue to do so. I write a few original pieces, but that's not what this blog is all about. I'm trying to show how baseball is perceived, and played, around the world. So my thing is to find articles that others have done, post it here, write my little snarky comments on it, and let history do with it what it may.

That's my shtick, I hope no one minds. As I've said, the 1,000,001st baseball blog just won't get taken seriously, I'm not a reporter or a sportswriter, and I don't think a whole lot of people are going here to come read my ramblings about the Royals. I'm not even sure I would care about that. I'm not getting paid to do this, so I'm the sole editor of the content.


So, I will continue on with my thing.

The video is about kids playing baseball in the townships of South Africa. I've been to South Africa several times, but never to the townships. I'm not sure if I would really want to go there. They are dangerous places.

That's why I'm glad to see the kids playing baseball. The things you heard in the video are true. They do have serious problems with drugs, and rape is a huge issue in the townships. They're poor, they don't have jobs, and South Africa is the most violent nation in the world. There isn't a lot for these kids.

So, the African nations are the new Caribbean countries. Poor kids who have nothing, and might be able to find a way out. The major league scouts are all over South Africa, and several players have signed minor league contracts. There's a gold mine (no pun intended) of talent there.

Anytime kids are playing baseball its a great thing. It's the greatest game in the world. Anytime a kid can use baseball to stay out of trouble and make a better life for themselves is something that should be celebrated. And the word should be spread.

Even if I'm not the first.

No comments: