Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Another myth busted

They say that hitting a baseball is the hardest single action in the sporting world. Outside of bull riding, but that's an entirely different story. But we've all heard the numbers. Even the best player is a superstar if he succeeds 40% of the time, and the average player succeeds less than 30%.

I've played baseball. I just played a semi-pro game last month. My first actual baseball game in about 2o years. 2 walks and a strikeout. I did hit 3 foul balls, so I feel I was successful. But it was hard. It is all about the timing.

However, a Japanese samurai seems to have the opinion that hitting a baseball isn't all the hard. Because he can do it with his sword.

I don't care what anyone says, that's impressive. Remember, his sword is sheathed and he has to pull it and still make contact. And it's a flat blade that has to make level contact to slice the ball, not a round bat. There is very little margin for error on this.

For those of you who don't think this is that hard, please go buy a sword and a pitching machine and try this yourself. I'll call the emergency room.

After I stop laughing at you.


Link from Sports Rubbish.com

No comments: